From: Kevin Atkinson (kevin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-01 00:03:10

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Stephen Nutt wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> I started on this must be close to a year ago, and I got wrapped up with
> other stuff and never got back to it.

Well I don't have a large interest in it beyond simple arithmetic. The
main reason that I wrote is to avoid having to deal with portably sending
floating point numbers over the network. With integers all I have to
worry about is endian order.

> One nifty option was to specify what would happen on overflow. There were
> two choices. Either the number would not overflow but go to its limit, or
> it would overflow in the 'expected' way.

Yes I know what you mean. The problem is doing it efficiently.

> fixed <int, 6> a = val1;
> fixed <char, 3> b = val2;
> fixed <long, 9> = a + b;
>
> without loss of precision.