From: Jason House (jhouse_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-03 09:17:59

Dirk Gerrits wrote:

> Jason House wrote:
> > I'm thinking that it would be nice to be able to us define distinct
> > types based on strings (the fundamental type const char * and not
> > std::string). The intended use is in templates.
>
> Well I'm just curious how you would like to accomplish this. String
> literals as template parameters don't really work all that well, if I
> recall correctly. Then again, I might be wrong.

  Well, I know that in MSVC simply refuses to use strings as template
parameters... If this truly is illegal by the standard, then a string
template parameter could default to a type for that string. As far as
use in other places, maybe use of some keyword as a function. Like
maybe struct("foo").
  I was hoping to try and get discussion about utility before trying to
figure out the best way to try and get it to be available.