From: Joel de Guzman (djowel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-09 08:39:02

Paul Snively wrote:

> Secondly, ast_xml.cpp takes a long time to compile--and no wonder; CW
> Pro 8.3 generates ~14 megabytes for it!

I assume that's debug mode? release mode should be so much smaller.
I've had good results with CW7.2 on Windows and I believe the CW
compiler is very good. For example, g++ simple.xml generates 23M in
debug mode and 320K in release. CW7.2 creates 1.4M in debug and
166K in release. I believe CW can do more if it can be made to inline
more! How much can CW8 inline?

For reference, see:
http://spirit.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?page=Compiler+Inlining+Table

> Hope this helps!

Oh yes! Thanks a lot. It seems there's a lot of work ahead to
patch all the #include <console.h>. A lot of the sample apps
need argv or argc. I'd certainly appreciate it if you can send in
a patch file.

Many thanks!

--
Joel de Guzman