From: Kevlin Henney (kevlin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-14 10:36:04

In article <b4sp1d$i5p$1_at_[hidden]>, Edward Diener
<eddielee_at_[hidden]> writes

>I am not trying to change lexical_cast at this late date since it must get
>out the door with 1.30, but this goes back to a comment I made quite a while
>ago about the two different versions of wchar_t on VC7 and the possible need
>to support both in Boost. I think it was briefly discussed by others but,
>more or less, shelved as an important issue.

I think the issue is not really related to lexical_cast. lexical_cast
works just fine on VC7 supporting non-native wchar_t. However, to be
sure of more universal support using the BOOST_ config macros, any
compiler that does not have a native wchar_t is excluded from wide-
character support under the current version of lexical_cast.

In the next version we can perhaps be more precise, but for the moment
the default is that lexical_cast compiles in the most conservative way.

>The only reason I bring this up again is that Boost may have some pretty
>angry MS programmers when they find out, at linker time for library
>implementations and at compile time for non-library implementations if a
>blocking Boost macro is in place, that wchar_t support does not exist for a
>given implementation.
>
>Perhaps this issue should be addresses once 1.30 gets out the door.

Sounds reasonable. Which Boost libraries currently use wchar_t but are
not 100% header based?

Kevlin

  Kevlin Henney phone: +44 117 942 2990
  mailto:kevlin_at_[hidden] mobile: +44 7801 073 508
  http://www.curbralan.com fax: +44 870 052 2289
  Curbralan: Consultancy + Training + Development + Review