From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-22 11:42:39

Gennaro Prota <gennaro_prota_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 09:52:07 -0500, David Abrahams
> <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>>Kevlin Henney <kevlin_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>>> However, the decision as to whether this should be in the 'what' string
>>> is perhaps one that can be revisited. It would be feasible to avoid any
>>> allocation issues at all by leaving the human readable string as general
>>> as it was before and adding type_info members that described the source
>>> and target types.
>>
>>Yes, that was my suggestion.
>
> I'm happy that std::type_info has a private copy constructor. Hadn't
> it been for that, my suggestion to use just a couple of typedefs would
> have been routinely rejected :-)

I don't think I understand what you're saying here, exactly.
However, I can say this: exception-handling is a *runtime*
polymorphic mechanism. Compile-time polymorphism as you can achieve
by carrying type information in nested typedefs is useless in a catch
block.

There's no reason not to store type_info references in the exception
object, though.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting