From: William E. Kempf (wekempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-26 09:57:12

Peter Dimov said:
> William E. Kempf wrote:
>>
>> I guess I'm wondering if the official toolsets shouldn't be changed. I
>> don't understand why the MSDN indicates it should default to /W2 while
>> we're seeing it default to what I assume is /W1. But, projects
>> created by the IDE default to /W3 (which is also the level
>> recommended by the MSDN), so it makes sense to me that we should
>> probably do the same? Otherwise, users are likely to see warnings
>> that we don't represent in the regression logs.
>
> I agree with the suggestion. The default should be /W3 for VC 6, and /W4
> (possibly with some specific warnings disabled) on VC 7+.

Why /W4 for VC 7+? The IDE's default is still /W3 on these compilers. I
don't think selecting a level different from the compiler's/IDE's default
is necessarily a good idea. Of course, what *would* be nice is to have
some way to specify this portably for all toolsets. IOW, the default
would be to use what's considered a normal level for the toolset, but
<warnings>all could be used to crank it up to full.

--
William E. Kempf