From: Rozental, Gennadiy (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-26 16:12:16

> > I am afraid boost/io/format will be confusing in a sight of
> presence of
> > Boost.Format.
>
> I understand. Well, it's in a different namespace.

I do not know why BTW. But even if it stays this way, I easily see a newbie
looking for Boost.Format staff in your headers and vise-vesa

> The directories follow the namespaces, so it has "std" and
> "boost". STL is
> only a subset of the standard library, so also for that
> reason, I think
> "std" would be more appropriate.

OK.

> This should be quite easy to add. The latter style is also
> used in Reece
> Dunn's list manipulator, which also deals with output for sequences.

That would be great.

> I don't have that much practice with it, but I've found
> myself that I don't
> have a problem remembering which parameter is what, in the
> 3+2 optional
> parameter list. Lack of verbosity may be considered one of
> the advantages
> over writing explicit output code.

That is not the problem for the developer - when you actively working with
library. But may be an issue for maintainer. Even if it's the same person.
Let say you returns to the application written year ago and never used this
formatting library meanwhile. Then I am afraid format<map>("","","") could
be a bit confusing.

Gennadiy.