From: scleary_at_[hidden]
Date: 2003-03-27 15:56:18

<snip>

I agree.

> But there are more important points I think; first of all this: if all
> I can see "from the outside" is whether v_== minus [note: this is
> 'plus' in the original code] why keeping three states internally?

To allow for short-circuiting any future comparisions. The three states,
whatever their names, mean:
1) The result is known to be true; no further comparisions are necessary
2) The result is known to be false; no further comparisions are necessary
3) The result is unknown; further comparisions are necessary.

        -Steve