From: Matt Warner (matt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-27 18:10:11

I am writing a multithreaded Apache log parser that uses the Boost
1_29_0 regex split function to separate elements in the entry. Each
thread parses a separate log file. The code seems to be working
correctly on a 1-CPU system, but when I use a 14-CPU Sun server, I
see massive locking (LCK column of prstat -amLvu username), and
performance suffers horribly (as measured by the lines processed per
second). I spent a lot of time checking to see where the locking was
occurring. I went so far as to compile the code with Sun's Forte 6u2
and use their analysis tools to identify the problem area. I've
compiled all code (including Boost) with both gcc 3.2.2 and Forte to
create 64-bit binaries, if that makes any difference.

If I read the Forte analysis tools correctly, the place I'm seeing
all the locking is the call to malloc in the void *operator
new(unsigned long), which is called by
boost::re_detail::match_results_base and _priv_match_data. Those are
in turn called by query_match_aux, which is called by reg_grep2.
Assuming I'm reading it right...

At this point it seems like the issue is either with the library or
my usage of it. Has anyone seen this before? Any pointers on what I
may be doing wrong and how to fix it would be appreciated.

TIA,

Matt