From: Jan Langer (jan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-28 12:28:56

Gennaro Prota wrote:
>>>But there are more important points I think; first of all this: if all
>>>I can see "from the outside" is whether v_== minus [note: this is
>>>'plus' in the original code] why keeping three states internally?
>>
>>because i see no reason why they should be needed.
>
> Sigh. You do keep them! The point is that your operator bool is a loss
> of information. Ever heard of lexicographical_compare_3way?

yes, but never used so far. but the non_3way lexicographic compare
algorithm has the same problem. if you think somebody will need the
three states (and the sgi stl people probably thought the same), it
should be reason enough to add a member function for access and to make
the enum public.

> Hoped to make some more intelligent point, but if we don't understand
> each other on such basics first... :-(

i dont really know what you mean. i wanted the class to do something and
to give me a boolean result. for doing this correctly it needs to
maintain three states. so i now somebody has a good reason to access all
three states from outside that is ok, but to access them just to have
them public is something i cannot follow.
jan

--
jan langer ... jan_at_[hidden]
"pi ist genau drei"