From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-30 17:19:00

Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:

> At 09:46 AM 3/29/2003, David Abrahams wrote:
> >Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:
> >
> >> I think Alisdair's raised some good points. While I'm not sure
> >> regression testers will want to put a lot of effort into back tests, I
> >> think it would be good if from here on out we segregated current from
> >> past tests.
> >>
> >> So I'd say give it a bit more thought and see what you can come up
> >> with. It will probably be easier to leave everything in one directory,
> >> but have the script display each release separately. Maybe default to
> >> current state, but with an option to look at past tests.
> >>
> >> Keep in mind the number of test platforms is likely to increase as
> >> time goes on. That also argues for better separation between releases
> >> and the current CVS state.
> >
> >I just returned from PyConDC 2003, where a system was described which
> >will watch a CVS repository for checkins, launch new remote tests on
> >any number of platforms, collect the results, and notify people of
> >failures (e.g. via mail or even IRC chat). It can be set up to bother
> >the person at fault first, and then bother a different group, for
> >example. http://buildbot.sourceforge.net/. It looks like it could
> >be really useful for us.
> >
> >Brian Warner expressed interest in helping us get that BuildBot up for
> >Boost if we want to use it.
> >
> >Thoughts?
>
> I think we really need something like that. Is it something we can
> dabble with first to see if it really works for Boost?

It's Python; how hard can it be? ;-)

Seriously, I have no idea. I get the sense we'll want some
hand-holding to get it set up, so it might be better to start working
with Brian immediately rather than dabbling on our own. If you're
feeling adventurous, though, feel free to dive in. I'm sure you'll
stop when it becomes inefficient.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting