From: Andreas Huber (ah2003_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-31 15:30:22

> Sorry for the late reply, got too many things on my plate.

No problem, I happen to have abandoned development on MSVC7.0 temporarily,
for other reasons.

> Yep, in most cases that's enough. It's _always_ enough with MSVC 6.0, but
> 7.0 sometimes uses another, unknown, type for the instantiation's
> placeholder argument, so you cannot simply specialize the template
anymore,

Interesting, I wonder why they changed this :-(. I guess I'll drop 7.0 as
soon as 7.1 is officially released what would obviously save quite a bit of
trouble.

> The VC 7.0-specific case is rare enough to always try the 'int'
> specialization first (which is obviously less painful than the other), and
> then switch to the 'is_msvc_eti_arg'-based workaround if that doesn't
help.
> VC 7.0 is not our production environment here at work, so I didn't have
> enough experience with it to be able to figure out when exactly these
cases
> occur.

Good to know, I feared that there are a few more incompatible ways to
circumvent ETI.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Andreas