From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-09 05:28:09

Pavol Droba <droba_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 10:31:54AM -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
>> Pavol Droba <droba_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>
>> > For the other points, I would rather leave it to someone who has
>> > more experience with Boost.Config
>>
>> We'd all like to leave details like these to someone else. The steps
>> I laid out are not difficult and would be a good way to get started
>> making concrete improvements to the libraries. If we all wait for
>> someone with more experience, nothing will get done.
>>
>> That said, it's a volunteer organization. If you can't make the
>> time to contribute, that's fine too.
>>
> I understand what do you mean. But anyway, I think that maintance of Boost.Config
> should be done by somebody who has access to some more compilers. I have
> just gcc and vc++.net and I don't have any experience with others.
>
> It is easy to break something, when you don't have an opportunity to test it.

Changes in the main trunk right after a release are in some sense
expected to do that. We have a nice test system; people will adjust.
It's a lot easier to fix a config regression for two or three
compilers than it is to write docs/tests/etc. The people with more
experience and access to lots of compilers are mostly too busy to do
all the work around here, so people like you need to step up if we are
going to keep the state of Boost moving forward.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting