From: scleary_at_[hidden]
Date: 2003-04-15 13:04:06

I believe it is important to note the difference between pseudo-random and
non-deterministic random number generators.

In the e-mails I've seen coming from the "should be const" folks, they're
coming from the point that the client only wants a sequence of truly random
numbers. That is, a non-deterministic random number generator. In this
case, I agree, a const operator() makes sense.

However, the internal state is very important for pseudo-random number
generators. Specifically, it's often saved in files or used as a reference
("Solitaire game #3235"). This exposure of state necessitates a logically
non-const operator().

        -Steve