From: Bo Persson (bop2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-23 13:32:22

"Justin M. Lewis" <boost_at_[hidden]> skrev i meddelandet
> Not entirely, passing a pointer doesn't tell you that the parameter will
> change, it just tells you that it might, it still leaves you in the
position
> of having to track down the function and check it. But outside of that,
if
> you're like me, at this point you prefer references to pointers, whenever
> possible.

The obvious solution is of course to name the function so that you can tell
what is does! :-)

A function returning a single value, should really RETURN the value and not
update a parameter:

y = year_of_first_marriage();

Having a function lying about its purpose should be caught at its
definition, not at each call of the function:

void will_never_change_any_parameters_honest(int& x) { x = 7; }

is easy to catch early. :-)

Bo Persson
bop2_at_[hidden]