From: Justin M. Lewis (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-25 18:53:56

You're missing the point. Personally I see the need for out and in/out
params. While some of you may not like them, I use them, as do others. The
question then becomes, when reading my code, would you rather see

f(x,y,z);
or
f(out(x), in_out(y), z);

Would you rather the outcome be obviously clear? Or would you rather have
to track down the source? The same thing goes for if you were reading code
that someone else wrote who used my library, which way would you prefer it?
Would you prefer to have to have a complet understanding of every single
function call made in a program, or would you prefer that as much
information as possible is given at the point of invocation? You're welcome
to go out of your way to write your code to never use out or in/out params,
although I think that's impractical in a lot of cases, that doesn't mean
that everyone else is going to do the same.