From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-28 10:29:49

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <andrewalex_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Again, Petru and I have had a very positive experience with
> ENFORCE. Without bringing anything really unheard of, this little
> abstraction does reduce clumsiness in error condition testing a
> great deal, both when writing and reading.

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of code has to do so much
error checking that this is a big savings or readability improvement.
Maybe when you're wrapping legacy APIs that report a few different
error codes though a billion different interfaces? It's been a long
time since I had to do that, but I can imagine that something like
this might be helpful in those situations, especially if the API
doesn't give me an error message formatter.

Since you found that it was a big help, can you say a little bit more
about the nature of the application domain where it was helpful?

Thanks,

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting