From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-29 20:04:31

>Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:53:01 -0400
>From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>

By amazing coincidence I happen to need a special iterator_adaptor
for my project. I tried boost::interator_adaptor - and it was just too
hard to "adapt". So It seems you're on to a good thing here. I used
the Mult-Pass iterator in the spirit lib. This changes an input iterator
into a forward iterator. It is of wide application and should be outside
of spirt. sprit also has a file_input iterator wish should really be
a simplle application of the multi-pass iterator to an input iterator.

FYI my application needs something to transform escaped text
to unescaped text and back again. and another thing to transform
from mult-byte strings (locale dependent) to wstring and back.
And these things should be composable with each other and
other iterators such as input/output stream iterators. I would hope
the new system would be applicable to these use cases in a
natural way.

When will the new version be available. I've started making
a couple of small templates derived from std::iterator<...> to handle
the job. but would prefer to use a boost library if a suitable one is available.

The docs suggest a different set of iterator catagories. Will this be
incompatiable with the current standard library? or a replacement for it?
or ?

The docs for the new system suggest that the new system will be much
easier to use and understand than the old one. A couple of examples would
be nice.

Good Work.

Robert Ramey