From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-30 17:23:48

Because:

1 I believe that using the highest warning level tends to increase code
quality.
For example, templated code is often only tested with builtin types, and
without an explicit static_cast will fail with user-defined types.

2 It is confusing to have unnecessary warnings to worry about.

3 The user will almost certainly find the ecletic code that Boosters tend to
write difficult to decide what the warnings really mean.

4 The author is best placed to think about conversion issues. Aiming for
strict focuses his mind.

But I am NOT advocating extensive use of #pragma to suppress warnings, though I
believe they do have a very useful side effect of documenting the issues.

I am mainly concerned with conversion and static casting.

Paul