From: Justin M. Lewis (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-01 18:09:44

Sorry I've been out of this discussion for so long, I decided to get sick
for several days.

I'm not sure I follow the comments below, except ultimately that you don't
like the idea.

As I see it, these in/out and out params come at no runtime cost. And they
help make clear otherwise potentially confusing function calls. They would
save you the trouble of having to hunt down all kinds of functions to find
out if and when you can expect your variables to change.

I really can't see any reason to NOT use a technique like this. I mean, it
ultimately helps make clear things that otherwise are not, at the cost of
typing a few more characters in the few instances where functions take
in/out and out params.