From: Justin M. Lewis (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-02 03:35:29

RE: [boost] in/out parameters, codingstylesandmaintenanceThe argument that these would have to be universally used isn't really true. You could apply out and in_out throughout a project and get the full benefit of its use. The point here is, if you care to use them, they're nice. If you don't care to use them, I guess no one is making you, like no one is making anyone use the STL, or any kind of good programming practice.

So, I'm not suggesting anyone go out and start ripping up old code to retrofit it. The idea would be to use it going forward in projects. Not necessarily inside the boost library, but, it's a nice library for use at the office, or personal projects. Again, as you start a project, that you know is going to grow to millions of lines of code, and be maintained by countless developers over a number of years, using a library like this throughout the project at the beginning would make long term maintenance much, MUCH easier.