From: Rene Rivera (grafik666_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-04 00:52:50

[2003-05-04] Noel Yap wrote:

>Rene Rivera wrote:
>> But I know of at least one need for "out" parameters:
>>
>> An asynchronous call that needs to "return" results. But because it's
>> asynch it can't return it as the result of the call.
>
>Good point. OTOH, can't this be considered an in/out parameter since
>the caller must own the object being set?

Yes, but that's the same as saying that you can consider an in parameter an
in/out parameter, for the same reason ;-)

The called function has no interest in the previous value of the out
parameter, if any. And that's what makes it an out parameter, not the
ownership.

-- grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- rrivera_at_[hidden] - grafik_at_[hidden]
-- 102708583_at_icq