From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-08 18:38:59

Beman Dawes wrote:
> > ... various backup suggestions
>
> SourceForge already makes the entire Boost CVS tarball available every
> night, and several Boosters download it daily.

Oh, good. There is no such thing as too much backup.

> (At least I hope they do - I have no way of telling if they are still
> running their cron jobs.)
>
> That is supposed to protect us from total failure, such as
> SourceForge going bankrupt and shutting down unexpectedly.
>
> But it isn't clear what the best procedure is to protect against
> partial failure - it seemed easier just to restore file-by-file in
> this particular case.

Sure, if the files content indeed makes sense.

I would characterize our case as malfunctioning with the possible
result of the bogus content; in this situation, plain content backup,
whether it's intentional or accidental, tarball or separate files, is
not a reliable source to restore from. We just happened to be lucky
this time (if John will be able to restore his branch).

I think Vladimir's suggestion makes sense and is worth doing. It covers
what plain backups cannot, and costs nothing in terms of maintenance.

Aleksey