From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-11 16:32:48

I am extremely interested in expression templates and related technologies.
Lambda expressions and higher-order functions/functors are fascinating as
they allow you to completely rethink the way you design and structure a
program.

I have recently learned Haskell at the University I am studying at, and am
interested in how its features compare with the STL, Boost.Lambda, FACT
(http://www.kfa-juelich.de/zam/FACT/start/index.html) and other areas of
research.

The STL and Boost already support a lot of techniques - including functional
composition and transformation of a container type. Expression Templates add
a powerful mechanism for optimizing small vector-based calculations such as
provided by libraries such as MTL, Blitz++ and others.

I also like the idea of static differentiation/integration, but was thinking
more along the lines of an STL-based mechanism, e.g.

diff< std::sin >::type == std::cos

NOTE: I don't know if that differentiation rule is correct since it's been a
while since I last did it, but you get the idea.

The differentiation support in boost::etl is, from what I can tell, based on
etl-based constructs only. I would like to see a more general framework, but
haven't had the time to do any research in that area.

Regards,
Reece

Express yourself with cool emoticons http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger