From: Russell Hind (rhind_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-14 02:55:10

Bohdan wrote:
> MT <-> single threaded,
> std lib as dll <-> statically linked,
> in dll <-> static lib
> debug <-> release

Not to mention debug vs non debug versions of the STL if you use STLPort :)

> And dealing with bunch of libraries ( even if you have one compiler on PC ... )
> isn't good idea for such general and frequenly used library.
> The other option can be conidional #pragma comment ... for compilers which
> support this feature.
>
> But IMHO template-inline would be still better, of course if there are no
> valuable
> reasons for current design.

I am quite happy with libraries, and have taken regex's approach when
building signals, thread, filesystem etc to append letters to the name
depending on compiler settings. I then use a #pragma link to link to
the correct library.

Another, simpler, approach to not using the .lib is to add the signals
soruce code to your project directly. I used to do this until I built
multiple versions of the .lib. It worked fine, although in Borland
C++Builder, I couldn't then have a name a cpp file with the same name as
a boost .cpp file because the project manager couldn't handle it, even
though they were in different locations.

Cheers

Russell