From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-20 15:40:05

I am the author of the serialization library reviewed by boost last november.
This library is available in the files section under the name serialization6.zip(I think)
Though it fullfilled all the goals I originally set for such a library it
was not accepted into boost for a number of reasons.

Since then I have continued work to address the reasons for its
rejection. A few interested parties have also offered to help. Things
have proceeded as follows

a) better factoring of the implementation (done)
b) addition of all desired facitlities(done)
        i) usage of compile time virtual functionality (CRTP)
        ii) XML archives
        iii) factoring out of type information and registration
        iv) automatic selection of object tracking functionality
        v) registration system for external names
        vi) single entry point serialization (like jens maurer persistence.zip)
        vii) miscelaneous other improvements.
c) final improvements in new implementation ( almost done)
d) decompostion of tests into tests of finer granularity(pending)
e) new tests for new features(pending)
f) rework of documentation to account for new features (pending)
g) check out on multiple compilers.(pending)

I would hope that I can get this done in the next 60-90 days. Fortunately
I amd currently unemployed.

I do not know if anyone else is currently working on anything like this.

There are several options if you're in a hurry. Each has a different
set of features and different interface. The documentation in serialization6.zip
lists the other packages that I happened to know about. The documentation
is a year old and at least one package (Eternity) has evolved since I mentioned
it in the documentation. I know for a fact that some users have been using
serialization6.zip library with satisfactory results. Unfortunately, the archives
created wth this version most likely won't be readable with the next version
I submit. This may be a factor.

Robert Ramey