From: Anthony Williams (anthony.williamsNOSPAM_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-21 10:12:07

Vladimir Prus <ghost_at_[hidden]> writes:
> > Shame about the "NT symlinks not supported yet" errors...
>
> Hmm... I hope someone more knowledgeble about NT will implement them
> someday. I even don't known is there's command line tool to create them.

Within an NTFS partition you can create hard links for files. You can also
link directories within or across local drives, so c:/cdrom points to the
contents of the CDROM drive, and c:/boost_current points to
c:/libs/boost_1_30_0.

I can provide code for doing the former; www.sysinternals.com provide a tool
(with source code) for doing the latter (junction).

On Win2000/XP it's a single system call to create a hard link
(CreateHardLink!), on NT you have to fiddle around and use CreateFile with
BACKUP_SEMANTICS.

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams
Senior Software Engineer, Beran Instruments Ltd.