From: John Torjo (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-25 02:58:07

> > Example:
> > SMART_ASSERT( (i < j) || (i < 0) || (k == -1) ) (i)(j)(k);
> >
> > After the expression, you'll specify all the values that were involved
in
> > it,
> > surrounded by (), like this: '(i)(j)(k)'
>
> Actually you can specify any values in current scope, not just in the
> expression being asserted. E.g.
> FILE *f=fopen(fname,"r");
> SMART_ASSERT(f)(fname);
>
> Is this officially supported or could it disappear in future?

True! It is as of now on ;-)
First of all, I thought of allowing that only for ENFORCE - when I'll do it.
But now, it should be ok with SMART_ASSERT/SMART_VERIFY as well.

> > - debug: a summary of the assertion is printed, and asks the user
> > what to do (Ignore/ Retry/ Abort/etc.)
>
> Can Retry be called "(D)ebug"? (and as you already use "D" perhaps
detailed
> info could be called "(M)ore Details"?).

Indeed. Done...
Anyway, you should know that you can have your own handler, an show whatever
you like to the user...

> Retry suggests to me I can put the missing file in place and it will try
the
> fopen() call again.

True... I used the M$ convention. My mistake ;-)
Fixed it.

> Also if cannot break into debugger I think:
> bContinue = true;
> is more useful than abort().

TRUE! Thanks. Done.

> BTW, I quickly found that I always wanted detailed output, so I made a
> ask_user_on_assert_console_detailed() function, which I've included at the
> end of this mail. I also did the two proposed changes above. Can this
> function be included? (but I think the briefer version should stay as the
> default.)

Done.

> > Default logger dumps all details of the assertion to
> > a file called './asserts.txt'.
>
> As someone else said I think I'd rather I had to specify the filename if I
> wanted this logging.

Indeed. It will be possible. I'll soon post an update.

> > So far, it contains the __FILE__ and __LINE__ (and __FUNCTION__, if
> > present).
>
> Function name not appearing on linux. Do I have to do anything to enable
> this, or is it not supported for gcc yet?

Fixed it.
Now I use the BOOST_CURRENT_FUNCTION.
(#define SMART_ASSERT_CONTEXT
context("file",__FILE__).context("line",__LINE__).context("function",BOOST_C
URRENT_FUNCTION)
)

> > > 9. Custom printing (NOT TESTED YET).
> > You can set your own printer class.
>
> Do you have an example of how to do this?

Not yet :-(
But I will show one, when doing the documentation.

> > SMART_VERIFY behaves ***exacly like*** SMART_ASSERT, with two
differences:
> > - SMART_VERIFY will work in release mode as well
> > - the default level of SMART_VERIFY is 'error'.
> > Which means that if a SMART_VERIFY fails, an exception will be thrown
> > by default. This makes sense, since the assertions you use in release
> > could most likely be fatal.
>
> I feel it should be the other way round - when I'm debugging I'm happy for
> an assert to kill the program, but if something asserts in the bug-free
(!)
> runtime version I'd rather it quietly log it and try to continue - the
> assert may be a false alarm.
>
> However I'd almost certainly be explicit about assert behaviour if using
> SMART_VERIFY in any serious program so the default is not so important.

Indeed. So, if you want the failed assert to quitely log and continue, just
do:
SMART_VERIFY(cond).debug();

Best,
John