From: Chuck Messenger (chuckm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-25 20:00:22

I think a persistence library for Boost would be fantastic. I belive
your schema approach -- compiling a schema into C++ code -- is the right
one. Some thoughts on requirements for an ideal C++ persistence library:

* use an XML schema, but some schema information, perhaps in another
   file, support C++ specific issues (e.g. does the data go into a list
   or a vector?)

* support both XML and binary data formats

* support both native-only (useful for IPC) and cross-platform formats

* support for "integrated header files" -- that is, rather than
   generating a C++ header, it should be possible to use an existing one
   (allowing you to customize it).

* support for complex data structures, including recursive structures.
   It should be possible to re-establish pointers, in other words.

To me, that would be the holy grail. It should probably be developed
like the thread library, though -- start with core capabilities, then
build on it over time.

I've love to take a gander at your code...

     - Chuck Messenger