From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-26 05:55:29

Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> Hardcore POSIX folks don't really "think C++", unfortunately. The only
> way to get it done is to deliver POSIX threading API implementation
> "on
> top" of Boost.Threads to them, I think. Well, this would also mean a
> whole bunch of extensions to the current POSIX threading -- things
> like parameterized pthread_once() and TSD destructors (to support
> shared_ptr
> like "custom deleters" without too much overhead), etcetera.
>
> What do you think?

What I think is that it is about time that C++ stop trying to accomodate the
C programming language in any respect, and develop itself using C++ idioms
and ideas even if it means leaving the C language completely behind. This is
what Boost is currently doing and I see attempts to accomodate C as
crippling the vitality of C++ and blocking the attempt to create a more
dynamic C++ language for the future.