From: Larry Evans (jcampbell3_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-27 17:15:28

Chuck Messenger wrote:

[snip[
> Thanks -- it looks very interesting.
>
> I did some googling, to see what its status is. Seems it hasn't been
> mentioned much since the flurry of activity in Jan-May 2001. Pity,
> since if it works "as advertised", it seems pretty useful.

I implemented Lin's local mark-scan and placed it in shared_cyclic_ptr
together with a comparison with Colvin's method of traversing the
pointer graph. Colvin's was faster; however, Colvin's method of
traversing the graph had problems. These were described in an
iplimits.txt file which had been in files/shared_cyclic_ptr; however,
it didn't generate much interest. Consequently I just removed it a
few days ago. I'm currently working on stl_container.cpp which
should be much easier to work with. It just implements a method
to travers the pointer graph. With that, any gc method can be used
with precise traversal of the pointer graph. It should be simple to
code the Lin's algorithm or a Christopher's without much problem.

I'd appreciate any feedback on stl_container.cpp :)