From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-29 02:04:24

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:

>> I think the names "arguments" and "options" are as good as anything else.
>
> It may be so. But I do not understand how the library use these terms.
>
> Vladimir wrote:
>> "option" is (name,value) pair
>> "argument" is an command line element which is not option.
>
> These definitions unclear to me. Could you give me more explanations with
> examples.

Consider command line

   my_prog --output=/tmp/log input.cpp

Here is the option with name "output" and value "/tmp/log". There's also
argument "input.cpp".

> Also I would like to know what term parameter means and what is the
> difference between parameter name and option name.

The term parameter is undefined yet :-( It's used only as the name of
'parameter' function, and there's something wrong with this name. For
example, when support for argument is added, the same mechanism should be
used to describe type of options and type of arguments. Using 'parameter'
function will became quite confusing, so I'll have to find a better name.

- Volodya