From: Larry Evans (jcampbell3_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-29 22:25:18

Gregory Colvin wrote:

[snip]

> Do you really need a precise collector? Boehm's collector works just fine.

Most people don't, but some do. In Jones and Lins _Garbage Collection_
there's mention of "misidentification" or "false" pointers in
applications with large compress bitmaps. Also, for highly connected
structures, I remember reading that there could be a problem.

> If so, I don't think you can do it without compiler support.

I was hoping stl_container.cpp would be as close as possible w/o
compiler support. I think Detlef also mentioned this somewhere
in his article. The closer it is, then the less testing would
need to be done to change the compiler.