From: Ed Brey (brey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-02 12:21:31

Daryle Walker wrote:
> I fixed up the I/O library I had reviewed a few months ago. It was
> some little things last week, but some big documentation and testing
> this week. It's in the sandbox if you want to try it out.

Looking at today's version in the sandbox, I still see the following high-level questions from the formal review looming without clear answers.

* Stream-buffer-wrapping Streams motivation: Why would someone want an internal buffer (versus independent buffers as used by standard streams)? (Example, please.)

* Array-Based Streams motivation: When is the class more suitable than std::stringstream? (Example, please.)

* newl differs from '\n' only in that newl doesn't perform background formatting. Presumably one would choose to use newl to avoid the formatting. What is undesirable about '\n' being formatted?

There are lower-level issues remaining, too, but these are more appropriate to address after the high-level issues are resolved.

Ed Brey
Review Manager for I/O Library update