From: Jaap Suter (J.Suter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-06 08:45:45

To all,

Today is the start of the formal review of the Math Constants library by
Paul Bristow. The review will run until Sunday June 15th. I will be serving
as review manager.

The Math Constants library is a collection of very accurate mathematical
constants for C ++ (and C) programs. These are like to be useful even by
programs just computing circumferences of circles!

A special feature of this collection is that the constants values are a
little more accurate (40 decimal digits) than can be represented by current,
and currently foreseeable, floating-point hardware. The mathematical
constants collection is convenient in that it does not require a search of
reference sources and is useful because it ensures that the values are as
accurate as possible and as portable as possible between different systems.
The constants have all been calculated using high-precision software working
with up to 400-bit precision giving about 130 decimal digits. (The precision
can be chosen and is limited only by compute time). The accuracy selected
(40 decimal digits) exceeds the accuracy of reasonably foreseeable
floating-point hardware.

The objective is to achieve the full accuracy possible for all real-life
computations. This has no extra cost to the user, but reduces irritating,
and often confusing and hard-to-trace effects, caused by the intrinsically
limited precision of floating-point calculations. The slightest symptom is a
spurious least-significant digit; at worst slightly inaccurate constants
sometimes cause algorithms to fail because internal comparisons just fail.

Following this anouncement is a brief resume and FAQ on the long discussion
that preceded this formal review.

You can find the latest documentation, including a bigger FAQ section, at:

.zip

Some examples are available at:

Please state in your review comments how you reviewed the library and
whether you think the library should be accepted into Boost. Further
guidelines for writing reviews can be found on the website at:

http://www.boost.org/more/formal_review_process.htm#Comments

 Thanks,

 Jaap Suter