From: Victor A. Wagner, Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-08 15:40:08

well, unless (likely given this biz) the words have changed meaning again,
"naked semaphore" was described by Dijkstra way back when (1964??)
a "mutex" was a variant of a semaphore which restricted signalling (V()) to
the task/process/thread/whatever that had successfully waited (P()) on it.
often a mutex would allow the _same_ task/process/thread... to wait (P())
multiple times on the same mutex withOUT deadlock, but would have to signal
(V()) the correct number of times before the mutex would be released.

Now if the definitions have changed, I apologize for the mis-understanding.

If you have some OTHER definition that discriminates between semaphore and
mutex, I'd be happy to hear it. If not, why do we have two words for the
same thing?

btw, note that IF my definition is correct, then at a minimum a mutex must
do more work than a semaphore (since it must establish "ownership" of the
mutex).