From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-13 13:46:46

Beman Dawes wrote:

>I gave that some consideration at one time, but the full URI spec
>(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt) covers so much that is totally
>outside the scope of a filesystem library that it really seems an
>over-generalization to try to included it as part of filesystem::path. The
>tail would soon be wagging the dog:-)

I was not suggesting that URL handling was a part of the file system
library. What I was considering was a URL library with a *bridge* to the
file system library, e.g. (I may have the names wrong):

   boost::url::url localsite( "http://localhost/xml/docs/overview.xml" );

   // use native OS interface:
   boost::path localpath1 = boost::url::getpath( localsite );

   // use custom mappings:

   std::map< std::string, std::string > paths;
   paths[ "http://localhost" ] = "d:/";
   paths[ "http://localhost/xml" ] = "c:/xml";

   boost::path localpath2 = boost::url::getpath( localsite, paths );

>A separate URI library would seem a cleaner approach.

I agree.

Regards,
Reece