From: Daniel Frey (daniel.frey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-17 05:19:02

Paul A Bristow wrote:
> In previous discussions, the main issues debated were:
>
> 1 Control of precision is essential,
> and some users wanted to be able to use
> float, double and long double at the same time.

"at the same time" is exactly what the "separate headers approach"
doesn't provide if you can only include one at a time IIUC.

> 2 Avoiding paying for what you don't use, which leads to

Hm, there is some small overhead, but not much IMHO. In fact far less
than a lot of other boost libraries. :)

> 2a MACROS provide a simple way of avoiding some cost for
> constants you don't use, (Although some Boosters were opposed
> to MACROs because they pollute the global namespace).

I'd like to backup the latter. With MACROs, you cannot add a 'using
namespace boost::math;' and use a plain 'pi' instead of 'BOOST_PI'.
Using MACROs is a pain and should be avoided if possible. And it's IMHO
possible in this case.

> 3 Efficiency
>
> Some compilers can generate better code
> from functions like "double pi() { return 3.1459;}"
> but that this implies writing "pi()" instead of plain "pi".

Yes!

> 4 Appearance
>
> BUT Users extremely strongly prefer to write "float area = pi * r * r;"
>
> So the ()s remain a MAJOR issue.

But this is exactly what my code tries to do. You write 'pi', and when
using it, all calcalations are forwarded to use the value returned from
a function (actually pi_value<T>::operator()). Some magic is provided
for convenience like in the example above and you can select the type
explicitly be using a static_cast. AFAICS you get all what you are
asking for...

> I see nothing wrong with your suggestions and examples,
> but I don't yet understand
> how your proposal helps to meet this last 'requirement'.

I don't see the problem as I think I do meet the requirement. Have I
missed something? Or is this an issue of a specific compiler's
optimization strategies? I don't think that it's to hard for a compiler
to generate good code from the code I showed, but I haven't actually
measured it (and I can't for all compilers). Do you think that the code
is inefficient or do you actually have evidence?

Regards, Daniel

--
Daniel Frey
aixigo AG - financial training, research and technology