From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-24 09:22:19

Jeff Garland wrote:

> I think that it is broader than sockets. The thread library, for
> example, uses something that basically amounts to timeval in
> some cases. Finally, if someone wanted to use a different socket
> library (especially since boost.socket isn't in boost) why make
> them rewrite this code?

indeed. select() is useful for many things. It has been used as
a replacement for nanosleep in case the latter was not provided,
it is used to test the non-blocking readability/writability of
file descriptors, and it is at the center of most event-driven
applications, i.e. the 'main loop'.

Regards,
                Stefan