From: Larry Evans (jcampbell3_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-27 08:34:27

Paul A. Bristow wrote:
> I also have an updated ('C++ 1998 STL standardized') version of James Kanze's
> of filtering streambuf and filtering streams derived from his files at
> www.gabi-soft.fr re-built for MSVC 7.1, (Could be posted on request).

Please do.

> and his illuminating articles in C++ Report 1998 (attached).
>
> There are also several examples of Inserting (decorating - not sure this term is
> an improvement) and Extracting on input, and some tests (though not Boost style

I guess it depends on whether a person is more used to unix "filtering"
term or the person wants to emphasize the "design pattern" of the code
(as mentioned by Maxim Egorushkin on about 6/14).

[snip]

> (More sadly, I was much impeded in trying to understand much of Larry's work in
> progress on account of the bizarre layout - this would be an serious impediment
> to acceptance by Boosters - see the Boost coding guidelines?)

OK. I concede it's bizarre, but I really didn't think it would impede
understanding. I've just been using it for years and it has some
distinct advantages (IMHO) over the Boost guidelines. However, I been
thinking about writing a program to just move the ";"'s to the end
of line using maybe spirit or wave. I was also thinking about using
a filter or decorator to do that :) Now I have more of a reason
to do that.