From: William E. Kempf (wekempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-30 09:24:23

Martin Bosticky said:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I just got the boost_1.30.0 version. Some libraries (like thread)
> require use of a DLL. However I would like to avoid the DLL hell. From
> looking at the output of the thread build it looks like a statically
> linkable library is not available.
>
> Is there some reason why I would not be able to create a static library
> for the thread library in VC7.1? Has anybody done this already? I feel
> this is very important because maintenance of multiple dll versions on
> client machines can be a really nasty problem.

Maintenance of multiple versions of a DLL isn't as bad as you make out.
Just place them in the app directory and don't worry about actually
sharing the library ;).

I *know* that DLLs aren't the ideal distribution mechanism on Windows
(despite it's popularity), but yes, there's a reason for it. Thread clean
up can't be implemented any other way. Read the archives where this
subject gets discussed at least once a month. (I'll add a FAQ entry about
this soon.)

--
William E. Kempf