From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-15 15:42:14

writes:

>> >What does everybody think about doing a 1.30.1 release "RSN?"
>>
>> What would be the advantage of doing a 1.30.1 release rather than a
>> 1.31.0 release?
>
>When we released 1.30.0, despite extensive pre-release testing, it
>went out with several prominent showstopper bugs. Don't you think
>we'll make the same mistake for 1.31.0?

No, of course not. There is only one new library ready for 1.31.0. We've
essentially been working on 1.31.0 for several months. A huge amount of
effort has gone into finding and fixing bugs. The iterator adaptor changes
have temporarily obscured the progress, but it is there nonetheless.

> Also, AFAICT 1.30.1 can go out much, much sooner.

Hum... You must be seeing some way of getting a 1.30.1 release out that
eludes me. What would go into 1.30.1? There have probably been hundreds of
changes to CVS since the 1.30.0 tag. How would we distinguish what should
or should not be merged into a 1.30.1 branch? Who will make the decisions?
Who will do the testing? Who will act as release manager? How will we
prevent a 1.30.1 release from delaying a 1.31.0 release?

--Beman