From: Johannes Brunen (jbrunen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-16 02:22:23

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:38:12 +0200, Daniel Frey wrote:

> I think it's too late, let's go for a 1.31.0. I think that we'll hear
> about problems with the 1.31.0 really soon after release and probably a
> 1.31.1 can follow shortly after.

Agreed.

At our company we use a slightly different approach. We have two development
streams, which we call 'Master' and 'Release'. At some time, when we are
releasing a version from our main development branch ('Master'), we just make
a copy of the current 'Master' state and check it into a different source
control database ('Release'). Bug fixes will be added into the 'Master' and
into the 'Release' branch. However, new functionality and interface changes
are only added into the 'Master'. Of course it is a little bit more work to
add the bug fixes into two seperate RCS. But this way, we are able to bring
bug fix releases to our clients whenever there is a demand for it. Additionally,
it then is possible to make complete structural changes to the 'Master' without
concernig about the 'Release'.

Regards, Johannes