From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-19 09:24:59

I've added the entry below to the Boost.Threads bibliography page in CVS. I
also added the Wirth quote to the FAQ: "semaphores ... are not suitable for
higher level languages."

IMO, this book is a "must own" for those who care about multithreading or
other concurrent programming design issues. Thanks to Alexander Terekhov
for his posting alerting us to the book's availability.

I paid $US 69.95 for the book at Amazon and then later found it
available for $US 52.50 "in the Americas" from the Springer-Verlag URL
given below.

--Beman

Per Brinch Hansen, Ed., The Origin of Concurrent Programming, from
Semaphores to Remote Procedure Calls, Springer-Verlag, 2002. ISBN
0-387-95401-5. http://www.springer-ny.com/detail.tpl?isbn=0387954015

Nineteen of the original seminal papers by Dijkstra, Brinch Hansen, and
Hoare, plus a current (2001) Overview by Brinch Hansen. Although expensive,
it is hard to imagine anyone who is interested in understanding the
underpinnings of any form of concurrent programming who would not want to
own this book. May not be of interest for those who just want to use
Boost.Threads and don't care about the design issues hidden behind the
curtain.