From: Eugene Lazutkin (eugene_lazutkin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-20 10:55:49

Inline.

"John Madsen" <johnmadsen_usenet_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> If you can convince most of the people on this list to provide an
automatic
> conversion, more power to you. I still maintain that avoiding hard to
diagnose
> errors is worth much more than saving 6 characters of typing.

I am not trying to convince anybody in overall goodness of automatic
conversion. :-) I am asking question, which is still ignored: what "hard to
diagnose errors" do you envision for smart handles??? Reference to some
dogma would suffice too. ;-)

> For a discussion of why user defined conversions are a bad idea (not
always,
> but most of the time), see More Effective C++, Item 5.

I've read it when it was printed. I know author's reasons. And I agree with
most of them. The question is: how do they apply in _this particular case_?

Thanks,

Eugene