From: Anthony Liguori (anthony_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-25 19:00:54

E. Gladyshev wrote:

>The library itself would be portable, the physical
>layer (Win32 or else) is specified as a data type with
>a bunch of static functions. It is similar to data
>type traits in STL. In other words the physical layer
>is a data type that is used as a template parameter.
>If you need to adopt the GUI/GDI template library to
>another system, all you'll need to do is to create a
>data type which defines the predefined traits.
>
>Here is a simple example of the Bitmap and ImageList
>templates and Win32 traits that demonstrates this
>idea. Note: I have not tried to compile this code yet.

See, the problem is the fundamental abstractions in GUI programming are
radically different. GUI programming in Unix for example is
_dramatically_ different from Windows. One needs to worry about things
like server side pixmaps instead of client side pixmaps and some of the
modern widget kits (like Gtk+) have a complex OO design.

Not to mention the fundamental difference between message-based GUIs
(like Win32) verses callback based GUIs (like X) verses signal/slot
based libraries (like Qt).

It's not impossible, but it's very very difficult.

Regards,
Anthony Liguori