From: Ross Smith (rosss_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-07-29 18:46:45

Gregory Colvin wrote:

> On Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003, at 16:02 America/Denver, Brock Peabody wrote:
>>
>> Why would it be necessary to reload anything besides the localized text?
>> That wouldn't be too hard:
>>
>> gui_application<employee> app = row(localized_text(name_text_id),
>> edit(&employee::name));
>>
>> Are you going to change the behavior of the application from one country
>> to another?
>
> Yes, you might. But I think text and graphics are most often changed, and
> in the case I am describing this must be done with native resources.

But localisation should be orthogonal to the GUI library. By all means
let's have (eventually) a resource loading library that understands
native resource files, but there's no reason for that library to be on
intimate terms with the GUI library, or for development of the GUI
library to wait for the resource library. Brock's code above shows the
right idea: the GUI library just accepts a string (or whatever data type
is required in each context), and it's up to the caller to decide how to
localise that, using the hypothetical resource library if they choose.

--
Ross Smith ...................... Pharos Systems, Auckland, New Zealand
            "Remember when we told you there was no future?