From: E. Gladyshev (egladysh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-02 04:34:48

--- David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> "E. Gladyshev" <egladysh_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> Is MPL a modern TEMPLATE library, in your opinion?
> I ask because compilation time is a very serious
> issue in the design
> of MPL.

In my opinion MPL is a great example of a tool for
creating modern C++ programs/libraries.
The h/w and compiler designers will have to deal with
the compilation time issues. It is their job.
When you are writing music the last thing that you
should be thinking about is how these guys are going
to play it :).

> IMO it's nutty to think that people won't use every
> bit of
> compilation bandwidth they can stand, once they
> start to do
> computation at compile time. Why should it be any
> different from
> cycles at runtime?

By people you mean developers. The developer's time is
a tricky issue. If you have a better library with a
long compilation time and not so good library with a
better compilation performance, which one do you
choose? If you choose the bad library, you can be
saving on the compilation time but loosing on the
development time. How do you count it? Do you care
how much effort/time did it take to build you car? I
don't.
Personally I care about creating a beauty, not the
compilation time.

> In many ways, the more modern a C++ library is, the
> more of a concern
> compilation times have to be.

I agree, but the other guys have to deal with it.
However you still can be saving on the development
time. By the development time, I mean the average
development time of the industry.

Eugene