From: Bohdan (gejrlaug_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-02 08:38:43

"E. Gladyshev" <egladysh_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> --- Bohdan <gejrlaug_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > "E. Gladyshev" <egladysh_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> > > but which approach is better for GUI lib.
>
> I believe that I've made a strong case for ImplTraits
> for GUI library. In the win32 case, the compilation
> time penalties would be of the same order as including
> windows.h

Agree, but only for simple gui library.
Look at other c++ GUI libs working with win32api...
they internal implementation isn't as simple as you might think.
Win32 "C" API doesn't propose too much modern functionality.
More modern boost::gui tends to have even more complicated
implementation.
  Possibly if you hide traits implementation in cpp files it
can work. Unfortunately in this case you will be forced
to include platform specific headers in your header files.
This can lead to compilation errors if you are using more
than one platform in your application. PImpl has no such
drawback.
BTW, do you/we really want to deal with more than one
platform (win32,Qt,Gtk...) within one application ? I've seen
few applications doing so and i don't think i'd ever like to create
similar fat-garbage-applications. IMHO such possibilty has
more drawbacks than goodies.
More useful can be possiblity to use native api directly
along with boost::gui. Ideas ?

regards,
bohdan

regards,