From: Rob & Lori (Rob.Lori_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-02 18:30:16

E. Gladyshev wrote:

>--- Edward Diener <eddielee_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>>As you have pointed out in the rest of your post, it
>>may prove more
>>worthwhile to work with the developers which already
>>exist for a free
>>cross-platform framework like wxWindows, in order to
>>encourage them to use
>>more modern C++ idioms
>>

>I agree with this suggestion. I am wondering how
>realistic would it be?

Personally I'm not certain I like that idea. WxWindows is much more
than just multi-platform GUI. This means when you only need the GUI
you'll be linking to everything else in their library, which increases
your code size. Plus, all those extra classes in WxWindows will make
things like porting to other platforms even tougher, because you can't
just port the GUI, but instead you must port all the classes.

And would it even be feasible to port WxWindows GUI classes to use SDL,
for example?

Besides, I believe it would take more effort to change all the existing
WxWindows code to use modern C++ techniques (which they would probably
be against for backwards compatibility reasons) than it would to create
one from scratch.

Rob Geiman